Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Mom knows best... Dimetapp Scare!

My parents had stopped by before our trip to Urgent care and asked that we call them with an update as soon as left. So, I did. The conversation went something like this...

Lisa: "Lorielle is okay - but she has ear infections - like we suspected."
Mom: "Did they prescribe something?"
Lisa: "Yes, Amox-Clav twice a day and then Dimetapp every 6 hrs."
Mom: "Lisa, DIMETAPP?"
Lisa: "Yes, MOM... DIMETAPP!"
Mom: "Oh Lisa, I don't think you should give her Dimetapp! That isn't good!"
Lisa: "Mom, the doctor said she needed it to open up her ears! I don't want her to be in pain!"
Mom: "Lisa are you sure? I wouldn't give it to her if I were you!"
Lisa: "Mom, if I can't trust the doctor, then why did I take her there?"
Mom: "Okay, whatever... but, ask the pharmacy!"
Lisa: "I will!"

And off to the 24 hr. Wal-Green's we went!

Since the age of two-ish, she has decided medication wasn't her "thing". (She is exactly like my sister was!) We have tried every trick in the book... down it goes... and right back up it comes! It has gotten to the point that when she is sick, she will smell the Sprite, OJ, orange soda or whatever it may be before she drinks it because she knows it is in there somewhere. While waiting for the prescription to be filled... I happened to walk down the Easter aisle... and decided I would buy her her very own bag of Cadbury mini-chocolate eggs... and everytime she took her medication, she would get an egg. (I know... I know... parents are supposed to bribe... BUT...). So, we came home... and set up the bathroom (yes, we've learned... the bathroom is the "easiest" to clean afterwards!). Medication... a sippy cup full of water... and one chocolate egg. She requested that Logan watch her because this time she was going to be a "big girl". And, a big girl she was... down went the medication... several sips of water... maybe just a tiny little gag... and then her chocolate egg... and WOW... SHE DID IT! And, off to bed she went!

Same routine twice Sunday... perfect! Hey, I think we have the hang of this! And maybe turning 4 and being a BIG SISTER has something to do with it!

Monday comes... Lorielle sleeps extra late. I check on her a few times... she is okay, but tired. So, I let her sleep. She finally wakes up... has breakfast... still a little sleepy... and then her medication. Later in the morning, Logan went down for his nap... Lorielle was playing in her room... and I sat down on the loveseat in the loft. I was tired myself... and thought I would "rest" while I had a few minutes. Lorielle came out of her room and we chatted a bit... more questions a few minutes later. A little later, it is totally quiet. "Lorielle?" ... no answer! Went into her room... not there! Logan's room... not there! Our room... NOT THERE! Okay, now my heart is pounding! "LORIELLE!"... no answer! Race downstairs... nowhere to be found. Doors are all still locked... dogs on their bed... "LORIELLE! PLEASE DON'T HIDE FROM MOMMY!" ... No answer! Run back upstairs... ready to have a heart attack... and notice her closet doors are closed - but backwards! Open them up... and there she is! Sound asleep... in her dress-ups... with a doll blanket on top of her... Cinderella in her arm. OH MY GOSH! "Sweetie... wake-up... are you okay?" Opens her eyes... looks at me like "YES, I AM OKAY... WHY WOULDN'T I BE?" ... and goes back to sleep. HHHHmmmmm........... so not like Lorielle. Check on her in a few minutes again... something doesn't feel right... so, I wake her up and have her come into the loft. She wakes up... talks to me... just sleepy. We made lunch... and I called the doctor. The peditrician said to cut back on the dose... and if she isn't coughing... maybe only give it to her at bedtime. After this... I notice her pupils are HUGE! So, I called Bob... he talked to her... we talked... all seemed okay... but, I watched her the rest of the afternoon. Bob comes home... doesn't say a word... and I hear him on the phone with the pharmacy... and then the doctor on call. The doctor had Bob check her eyes with a light and they were still responsive - so, they told us not to give it to her anymore... this was an indication of an "overdose". And although, the dosage was correct... her little body couldn't handle it... and slowly she was being overdosed. This morning her eyes were still huge... so, I took her to the peditrician. She is okay... but, we learned that her body has a very slow metabolism... and doesn't metabolize decongestants and if we had continued to give it to her... she would have definitely had problems. My poor little girl! Because she has never been good at taking medication, we didn't know... so, although this was scary... the peditrician told us it is actually "good" in one way because if she were to ever need surgery or future medications to make sure we tell the doctor what we learned today.

Lesson Learned: Mom definitely knows best! (Sorry Mom!)



My little girl sound asleep in her closet.

0 comments: