Wednesday, April 2, 2008

A Quick Update...

Family and Friends ~

I thought I would post a brief update in regards to the situation with Elisabeth and the County of Kern. After much prayer, speaking with numerous people - attorneys - both in our area and Bakersfield - court personnel, people Bob works with, etc. we filed a request to have Bob's rights relinquished/terminated last Friday. I know there must be many who cannot understand why we would make a decision like this... and I accept that. But, you must understand you have not walked in our shoes. Although, we have been told there are far and few cases where the rights of a parent our terminated at the age of 16, we felt Lorielle and Logan deserved our very best efforts in all of this.

We also filed our response with the Court in regards to the child support case on Friday.

We provided each Judge (there are two seperate Court matters - Relinquishment of Rights in Juvenile Court and the Child Support Case in Superior Court) with a 60 page packet of paperwork - basically our history with Elisabeth in a "nutshell". We pray that each Judge will read through all of the paperwork and be given a clear picture of the last 11 years. It was never our intent to have Elisabeth living elsewhere... we had always wanted her as a part of our family. In fact, for quite some time I thought she may be my only child. But, with her strong desire to live with her mother and the actions that followed, we were left with no choice. It is also our prayer that each Judge takes into account our other two children in this matter. And although, we have learned that the Court system is not always fair... we are praying for a "just, fair, and right" decision to come.

We now wait... and as I open the mailbox each day... I am reminded to pray for patience. Whether a hearing will be called, whether we receive a decision by mail, or whether more documentation will be needed... we do not know. But, we know that we did all we could... and gave it our very best.

We appreciate your prayers... and will keep you posted! ~~Lisa~~

On a side note... I was required to serve each party with our request and response. Bob and I traveled to Bakersfield last Friday. And as we have learned, nothing in Bakersfield ever goes off without a hitch. Elisabeth's social worker has been quite a challenge to communicate with. She never returns phone calls and is never in the office when we are there. The receptionist has given us a hard time as well... and of course, Friday was like any other day. She refused to call the social worker because I did not make an appt. (and remember, an appt. is not required to serve paperwork)... She kept her slot in her window covered with file folders so I couldn't pass the paperwork through. I was then told the social worker was in the cafeteria and couldn't come to the front... hhhmmm... our tax dollars definitely at work. When I asked to speak to a supervisor she refused and told me to go away. When I told her I wasn't going anywhere... she decided to call security. It was quite an event and something that should have taken no longer than 10 mins. took over and hour. She felt the need to treat me like someone who I wasn't... assuming I am sure the "worst" that I was a parent who had my child taken away from me. Needless to say, I was tested in every area... and it took all that I could to restrain my mouth from telling her exactly what I thought of her! Anyway, Bob and I can laugh now... but, it was definitely another "not so fun" day in Bakersfield. But then again... there has never been a fun day there! Oh well........................

0 comments: