My Sister - My Very Best Friend
Lori Danielle Checkwood
July 12, 1973 ~ November 23, 1994
Dearest Lori,
My sweet sister... my very best friend... oh, how I miss you! 14 years ago today - shortly after 1:30 p.m. ... you were called home to be with our Lord and Savior. Our lives were forever changed! I wasn't sure how I could live a single second without you... but, you gave me twenty-one very special years... filled with memories of our "sisterhood"... that I hold closely in my heart. I will treasure them forever! Those memories are a precious gift you left behind... and it is what helps get me through each day without you. You will always remain "alive" in my heart... because the love we shared was a "love without end".
I have so many precious memories that flood my heart... so many reminders of the priceless relationship we shared! I remember waiting so long for a baby sister. Being only 5... I remember telling people I had waited 10 long years for you to be born! I remember playing with you... Barbies, Dolls, in our playhouse... but, I think a favorite of ours was school... you would always want to be the school bus driver! I remember riding our bikes together, roller skating... swimming, camping... I remember the trouble you gave us all when you went through your worrying stage while in second grade (Lorielle is so much like you!). I remember how you could say anything that was on your mind... from the time you could talk... asking the cashier if she bleached her hair... telling someone you didn't like the color of their shirt... if it crossed your mind... it came out your lips! I remember how weak your stomach was... and we always had to be prepared to go into "barf mode". (Oh yes... Lorielle!). I remember the "fits" you would have in the dressing rooms while we shopped because you hated trying on clothes... and especially ones with long sleeves! I remember doing your hair... of course, not always wanting to... but, once you asked... I had a difficult time saying NO! I remember what a social butterfly you were... and so wanting to be like you! I remember a get together with friends you had at our house... and how an annoying boyfriend became the ultimate pest... and you called his dad to have him picked up and then told the guard at the gate not to let him come back in. A short time later, he was peeking over our back fence, but you were done! Mom and Dad never had to worry about you missing your curfew... heck, you were home two hours early, in bed and asleep! I remember how much you loved being with us... and you had no problem ending a date because you wanted to come home and hang out. In the twenty-one short years we shared with you... we lived... we laughed... yes, we cried... but, we LOVED... and then we lost.
There is no doubt in my heart that you are in the arms of Jesus... and it is my faith that gives me the assurance that one day we will be together again! But, I miss you Lori... and I always will. I miss all that we shared... all that we could have shared! I miss talking to you each and every day... I miss your smiles... your laughter... your hugs... your beautiful eyes that told the truth no matter what... I miss sharing my precious little ones with you... I know how much you loved children... and how one day you had planned to become a MOMMY! I miss the "what ifs" ... the "could haves" ... the "would haves". There is a part of my heart that remains empty without you here. I know that God's plan is the perfect plan for our lives... and I believe that with all that I have.... but, how cannot I not think "if only..."
But, I have been blessed... how blessed we were to share so much in such a short time! You were the best! I love you today as much as I did the day we say good-bye! For you are my sister... and that will always be!
I love you my sweet, precious sister!
Lisa
You never said "Goodbye".
You were gone before I knew it,
And only God knows why.
A million times I have needed you,
A million times I have cried.
If love alone could have saved you;
You never would have died.
In life I loved you dearly,
In death I love you still.
In my heart you hold a place,
That no one could ever fill.
It broke my heart to lose you,
But you didn't go alone.
For part of me went with you,
The day God took you home.



















1 comments:
This is your most beautiful BLOG ever. I really feel like I know your sister now! The pictures are so beautiful, being able to see the bond you and your sister had growing up together. What an amazing tribute to your sister!
Post a Comment