... not to share!
God must have known I was definitely in need of humor... as my heart has been feeling a bit heavy this week. Of course, His timing is always perfect... and I can't tell you how good it felt for my heart to flutter with laughter!
Lorielle had an eye appointment this afternoon. Of course, she knew of this appointment a few weeks back, but had forgotten. I felt it best not to remind her as I knew her eyes would be dilated and she would panic all morning at school. She was quite surprised to see me early at school, but quickly remembered. As I expected... she worried herself sick as we headed down the freeway. By the time we had arrived, her face was flush, her stomach was hurting, and she was a nervous wreck.
As we waited for her to be called, she curled up on my lap asking if this would hurt. I explained what they would do... her need for sunglasses afterwards... and our lunch date when it was all finished! She was called back to the room... shaking with fear as we walked down the never-ending hallway. The doctor walked in right behind us and asked her to sit in the special chair - away from Mommy of course. With his very heavy accent, he asked the reason for our visit... and I explained that I have noticed her finding the "need" to hold her chapter books closer... and missing words that she knows here and there. Basically, just her first "real" eye check-up to make sure all was good!
Then the doctor began asking Lorielle questions... Their conversation went something like this...
Doctor: "What school do you go to?"
Lorielle: (barely able to speak) "Santa Rosa"
Doctor: "What do you like to do?"
Lorielle: no response...looking at me with tears welling up in her big, blue eyes.
Doctor: "Do you have a dog?"
Lorielle: "Two."
Doctor: "What are their names?"
Lorielle: muttering... "Daisy and Daffodil."
Doctor: "Do you know what a Daisy and a Daffodil are?"
Lorielle: blank stare... very slowly - without any expression - "uh, d o g s"
The nurse then comes in... dilates her eyes... and then sends us back to the waiting room. As we were waiting, I asked her if she understood what the doctor asked her. And of course, she did... a Daisy and a Daffodil are flowers!
We headed back into the room 20 minutes later... and the conversation continues...
Doctor: "Do you play any sports?"
Lorielle: acting as if she can't speak once again... looks at me with a blank stare!
Doctor: "You know, like soccer, baseball, dancing, that sort of thing. Do you do any of that?"
Lorielle: still acting as if she doesn't understand... and can't talk...
Mommy: "You like to ride your bike and swim, right sweetie? And, you played soccer!"
Lorielle: "uh-huh."
Doctor: "So, what kind of dogs do you have?"
Lorielle: very quietly... mutters out... "f l o w e r s"...
Doctor: "Well Mom, her eyes are healthy. Maybe some nearsightedness as she grows but everything looks good right now! However, I am not qualified to diagnosis learning disabilities... we can't do that here. I think that is probably what you are seeing at home. I would talk to her teacher and would recommend that her teacher assess her. They can help her at school and possibly provide special education classes for her!"
I didn't say a word... listened to his speel... thanked him... walked out the door and bursted out into laughter! Little did he know, Bob and I were at Parent-Teacher conference less than 24 hours ago... and she is testing above grade level in everything! What a complete and total ding-bat! No, my daughter doesn't have any learning disabilities... but, maybe if you spoke clearly... and understood how scared littles one can be at the doctors... you would understand! I think if it would have been any other day... I might have put him in his place... but, I felt no need to today! God knew I needed a laugh... and boy... He gave me a good one! I laughed all the way to the car... and couldn't wait to share this story with Bob.
Friday, March 19, 2010
Too Funny...
From The Heart By
The Tweedy Family
at
8:00 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
Oh my gosh! That is HILARIOUS! Definitely a story to remember!
Post a Comment