Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Answered Prayer

I came across this several years ago while Bob and I were going through infertility treatment. I read it often... sometimes several times a day (and still do!). I thought I would share it with you.

Although, it was written for a couple experiencing infertility... it can be applied to all situations we take before God. God does answer our prayers... not always as we want Him to... and not always when we want Him to. But, He will answer them - in His own timing - in His own way! We must be confident in Him that His way is the BEST WAY for us!

As I look back at the road we traveled, it is so very clear to me that God's timing was so perfect in our lives! I was convinced as I prayed for a child that I was ready "NOW"... but, God knew differently... and for that I am so thankful. Bob and I weren't ready back in 2000... or 2001... or even 2002... He was working within us... as individuals, as a couple, and as future parents. Of course, I catch myself looking back and "wishing" Bob and I were younger parents (especially when we are called our childrens grandparents!)... but, then I remember all that we went through... and how God answered our prayers in His perfect way... in His perfect time... and how could I ever want to change that?


~~~~~~~Answered Prayer~~~~~~~

I remember when my husband I first began talking about starting a family. It was the biggest decision we had ever faced.

I needed WISDOM… so I prayed.

I remember waiting and longing for the news that we would soon have a baby. I needed PATIENCE… so I prayed.

I remember the appointments with the doctors, the tests, and the uncertainty of the problems I was facing. I needed ENCOURAGEMENT… so I prayed.

I remember both the excitement and fear I felt as I was wheeled into the operating room for my first fertility surgery. I needed PEACE… so I prayed.

I remember month after month being devastated by the news that we were not going to have a baby. I needed CONTENTMENT… so I prayed.

I remember week after week hearing announcements that friends of mine were going to have babies. I needed JOY… so I prayed.

I remember day after day the sadness that filled my heart when I walked past the spare bedroom in our home. I needed LOVE… so I prayed.

I remember feeling such pain and desperation following the second fertility procedure as I sat in the recovery room crying. I needed COMFORT… so I prayed.

I remember the day God spoke to me so strongly through 1 Samuel 1:27: “For this child I prayed, and the LORD has granted me my petition which I asked of Him.” I needed FAITH… so I prayed.

I remember the day my precious son was born. I was both overjoyed and overwhelmed as I wondered how I would ever be able to handle the task of raising him. I needed GUIDANCE… so I prayed.

Finally, God’s still small voice spoke to me saying,
Over the past two years, while you were longing for a child, I was preparing you to be a mother. I have given you everything you need to raise this child. While you have been in my waiting room, I have given you wisdom, patience, encouragement, peace, contentment, joy, love, comfort, and faith. These are gifts that I gave you, and someday you will extend those same gifts to your child. During the past two years, you have learned that you are utterly dependent upon Me. You have learned to cast all of your cares upon Me. You have learned that when you cry out to Me, I will answer you – in my own time and in my own way.

I remember the moment I understood that the infertility of my womb had provided the most fertile soil for my spiritual growth. I needed to THANK God… so I prayed.

“If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans.” -an old proverb

“For I know the plans I have for you,” declared the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” – Jeremiah 29:11 NIV

2 comments:

Kelly said...

That is beautiful and so true! I just posted it on my Blog! And BTW, you so don't look like grandparents!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for posting this. I think it is exactly what I needed right now. I know that he has a plan for me and my family and I just have to be willing to follow his plan.

Brenda