Friday, May 8, 2009

Plans?


Yes... I am a "planner". As much as it may drive my husband absolutely bonkers... I think he would "silently" agree... if we didn't have a "calendar keeper"... our life would be just a little bit too crazy to survive!


So... just as I always do... I sat down Sunday evening to look at what we had ahead for the week. One day of overtime... Bob's doctors appointment for his back... volunteer at school... a few errands... walking plans with my girlfriend Amanda four out of the five days... ... and then of course, the usual - housework, laundry, homework. Not a "busy" week I thought with relief. I can definitely handle this!


A bit later, my husband and I sat down to catch a few minutes of the news before we headed to bed. Of course, the Swine Flu saturated every channel! We joked a bit on how the last place we would want to be right now was at the doctors office... or near a hospital.


Fast forward to Monday afternoon... Little Miss Sweet Pea came home from school feeling a bit under the weather. Lorielle was "stuffy" and looked "tired". We finished her homework... gave her a bath... and she lounged in the recliner until bedtime. I assumed she had caught the "cold cooties" that were being "shared" in her classroom.


Later Monday night she woke up with a high fever and began throwing up. Tuesday morning, I took her to see the pediatrician. Of course, they immediately gave Lorielle a mask... requested I sign several release forms... and sent us to the hall to wait for an available room. The nurses and doctors were all dressed in their "cootie attire"... full face mask, paper gowns, gloves... quite scary! Her Swine Flu test came back negative, but the rapid Strep test came back positive. So away we went with a prescription for antibiotics! "We'll get you back on track sweetheart and you will be feeling better by tomorrow!" I promised her.


By Tuesday evening, she couldn't keep a sip of liquid in her tummy... never mind the antibiotics... so I called the doctor on call and she ordered an injection for Wednesday. "Thank goodness!" I thought ... "Someone is finally listening to me! An injection instead of oral medications... she'll be feeling better in no time!"


If only...


By Wednesday morning, the white in her right eye was bright red... she was in pain... couldn't talk because it hurt too much... and began looking seriously dehydrated! As I left to take her back to the doctor, I grabbed a pair of socks, Kitty (her favorite stuffed animal) and a sweatshirt... thinking "just in case". But in the rush to get out of the house, I left them sitting in the garage. "No worries", I told myself... "you'll be back home after seeing the doctor and won't need any of that!"

The nurse took one look at Lorielle... talked to the doctor... and immediately sent us to Children's ER in San Diego... suspecting Kawasaki Disease. Thankfully my parents had followed with Logan in their car and then followed me to the hospital. Bob wasn't sure when he would be cleared to leave... so, I would have been on my own. I am not sure how I drove to the ER, but I did... "magic wings"... I think! I traded my flip-flops for my mom's tennis shoes and socks... and carried Lorielle into the ER. Thankfully Bob arrived about an hour later.


It was a long, long night! I was nervous and scared. She looked so so sick! They pumped her with fluids... an anti-nausea injection... another throat culture and lots of lab work. Poor thing was so exhausted and sick! After fighting the doctor during the throat culture (including kicking and screaming!) she just layed their while they poked her for the IV and other tests. She looked at the nurse and whimpered "you hurted me!"... and then fell asleep. Mommy and daddy's heart broke as we sat next to her bed. We felt so very helpless! A few hours later... it was amazing to see the changes that occurred after she had been "tanked up" (as the nurse said) with fluids. Her nose began dripping... you could see the color come back into her precious lil' face... and she even sat up for a Popsicle!


They released her Thursday morning. She is keeping fluids down... not into eating yet... but, is doing much better!


They have been able to almost rule out Kawasaki Disease (THANKFULLY!!!)... her rapid Strep at the hospital came back negative ... so, they are thinking it is a viral infection that will have to work its' way through her little body. I am waiting for the doctor to call as I type this... with the remaining lab results.


Yes... I know... so much for my "plans". But, that is okay... God is seeing us through! I learned this week I have "Mommy strength" I didn't know I have. It must be tucked away in a secret compartment of my heart. I learned with God's hands on my shoulders, I can stay "calm" in a stressful situation. I am definitely ready to say good-bye to this week... and begin a new - healthy - one! Of course, I will "plan" my next week just like I always do... but, I will also remember God may have other plans for us!



So so sick... You are a lil' trooper Lorielle! I can't wait to see that beautiful smile again!


Oh how it breaks Mommy's heart to see her lil' girl so so sick! I love you to pieces my precious sweetheart... and I would be sick for you... if only I could!

0 comments: