Saturday, September 12, 2009

Our Lil' Man

...and His Little "Cap".

A very long week for our family... but thankfully we are all home together... trying to rest and recover this weekend.

Logan was quite the lil' trooper... his "maturity" for being "just two" is beyond amazement to his Mommy! As they "attached" the wires with "glue" (approximately 20 of them) he kept his little body so still on the bed... that I had to put my face close to his to make sure he was still breathing. He didn't say a word.. didn't cry... but, closed his eyes... and looked as if he was "shutting out the world". I knew he was as frightened as could be on the inside... and I held his little hand and told him over and over how proud I was of him... what a big, big boy he was... and that I loved him with all of my heart! He did the same as they removed them.

He was "wired" for approximately 50 hours... allowed one 30 minute walk... and the rest of the time he could only move from his bed to a chair where I held him. We had to keep the camera that was in the ceiling on him at all times. Bob and I had to watch him the entire time and click a button anytime we thought we might have seen an episode then explain it in writing. Logan never complained once! The second day Bob and I could see that he was very quiet... and acting very "depressed like" so we took him for a walk through the halls and outside into a little garden. Of course, when sister came for a visit his spirit was quickly perked.

Unfortunately, he did not have any episodes that we have seen at home. A neurologist came in a few times each day to talk with us as he reviewed the EEG. The first 24 hours, Logan had only 3 "spike and wave discharges"... which the doctor was very encouraged by. However, as he reviewed the next 12 hours of EEG, we were told that Logan was having these "spike and wave discharges" on an average of 2-3 per hour. He also confirmed that he did see "seizure like activity" on the EEG. As Logan was discharged, the doctor still had 20 hours of EEG to review and write a report... but at this point he feels that some sort of medication will be needed. Not at all I was hoping to hear... but right now... I need to take one day at a time.

Logan had his CT Scan on Friday and it took a little longer for him to recover... but, by bedtime he was doing much better. My heart broke into a million little pieces as he sat on the table... Mommy holding his hands, looking into his eyes, as the doctor came from behind and placed the mask over his face. So not fair! He fought it a bit by not breathing... so, it took a little longer to knock him out. Something I hope he doesn't have to go through again! I am hoping to have these results Monday afternoon. The scan will show if there is a cancerous tumor (neuroblastoma) that could be causing all of this. Of course, this is my biggest concern/fear at the moment... and I am just praying my heart out that his scan will be completely normal. We will still need to repeat the urine test even if it is normal because I have learned that if someone has this, the cells are in the body tissue at birth and they could develop into a tumor anytime between the age of birth and approximately 10 years old (usually). So again, also praying for the next urine test to be normal. But like I said... one day at a time.


Shortly after he was "wired"... settling into our room.


Playing Thomas with Daddy! Watch out McQueen... you have close competition!




Thank you sister for teaching your brother such "cute" habits... NOT!



Dinner-time... even Logan wasn't impressed with the cafeteria food! (Which later came up and ended the Elmo PJ attire!)





....into a hospital gown for the night... sorry Bud-Bud... it was only for sleeping!

A visit from sister!
We watched Caillou almost the entire time! Yes... one DVD that Logan begged for us to play over and over again! I can't wait for Caillou to grow up and be a big boy!

Smiles! Sister is here!

So related!










We are dealing with lots of insecurities now that we are home... questions... and not sleeping at all at night... so, please keep our lil' man in your prayers! I can't wait to put all of this behind us.

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

Oh Lisa, my heart breaks for what you had to go through this past week and I am so happy it is behind you. Please let us know when you find out the results tomorrow...and I will be praying for the best outcome!

Kelly said...

Oh my goodness, sweet little Logan. Oh his little cap brought me to tears, but what a brave boy! I am sure he enjoyed the toys and snacks. Oh how I wish Caillou was a big boy that didn't whine as well, ha ha! Logan and all of you are in our prayers! Let me know if you need anything. Love to all of you!!